Sunday, April 6, 2014

#52 - Sweet Is The Work

HI FAMILY!!! :) :) :)

Folks. This was a FABULOUS week. Really. It is such a delight to be here in Brazil taking in the beautiful things around me, getting to know such wonderful people, and preaching the restored gospel of Jesus Christ! Life is beautiful! :)

Highlights of the Week:

- We have been teaching a lovely little girl in our ward. Her aunt and uncle have been bring her to church for a years and she really wants to get baptized.  Only one tiny detail.... her mom does not want her to be baptized and we have to have her permission. I thought, 'No, problem! We'll just go over there and teach her too!' So, I asked Tainã her mom's name to which she answered, "Negona." I thought that was kinda weird because Negona in English translates to "Giant Black Women" But I brushed it off and asked what time she would be home. Tainã said, "She comes home when she's done working at the bar." ....This is when a tinsy bit of fear crept over me. But, we decided to go over there and see what we could do. We got to the home and found only Tainâ and her older sister in the home. We started teaching them the first lesson and I heard some sounds coming from a pad-locked door in the corner of the house. Just as we were about to end our lesson, the door busted open and out emerged Negona! She fit her name quite well. She told us that she had been listening to our message in the other room and she approved of our teaching and she would let Tainâ be baptized. WHOA. Good thing we were teaching by the spirit and won her trust. :) Miracles are real! Tainâ has her baptism set for this Saturday after conference and we are so excited for her!

- We had another baptism set for Saturday with Rosane, one of our miracles, but she got the flu on Sunday and could not make it to church and therefore we have to move the baptism date. Blast. But she is so great! She is member reference and is just perfect! She loves the lessons and is devouring the Book of Mormon. She is so sweet! She accepts each doctrine and commandment with a happy, willing heart! We just love her! :)

- Another member gave us a referral of a family! A real family! They are LEGALLY married (so rare) and have the sweetest little boy! We started teaching them this week and they have loved the lessons. They have just one little problem. Pingo, the dad, is a SERIOUS soccer player and plays in tournaments every Sunday morning, right when church is starting. .... Blast. But! If faith can move mountains, part seas, and shut lion mouths, it can get Pingo to church! :)

- This week I made over 100 pancakes for our branch! We had a Noite das Panquecas Americanas! :) It's funny how something as simple as pancakes can make people so happy! :) The branch LOVED the pancakes. There is no maple syrup here, so we resorted to condensed milk and it turned out good! :)

- I super love Sister B. Sousa! It has been so fun to train her and be her friend. The other night we were coming home from a long day of work and we noticed the stars shining above our heads. We stopped in the middle of the sidewalk and laid down on the concrete to take in the beauty of the heavens for just a minute. It's moments like those that I will never forget. I only have two weeks left with her and with this branch so I have to make them the best! I don't know if I can leave this place. It feels like home.

Well, I want to wish you a Happy, Happy Conference Weekend! How wonderful it will be to hear from our beloved prophet and apostles! I will be thinking of you when conference starts; think of me too and know that I love you! :)

With conference coming up, I am also reminded that I will be hitting my 1 year mark this week. It doesn't seem long ago that I was kissing you all goodbye on the MTC curb with a big lump in my throat and a butterflies in my stomach. This year has whizzed by. How grateful I am for this most wonderful, most challenging, most beautiful, most life-change year. I love my mission. Oh, how I love my mission. I thank for you all who have supported me, loved me, and got me here. Thank you, thank you, thank you.  I thank My God for letting me be here, for strengthening me, teaching me, loving me. I love Him so. I love Him and I love my Savior Jesus Christ. If the only things I got out of this last year were the testimony of God the Eternal Father and His Son and the love I feel for them, than it would all be worth it. I love them.

All my love,

Sister Mann 




No comments:

Post a Comment