Sunday, April 13, 2014

#53 - General Conference and Kite Wars

Hello Beautiful Souls! :)

It looks like you had a nice Spring Break in St. George! I loved the picture of Momma J. on a bike! Yeah, that's my mom! :) It must have been a great weekend. :) And wasn't General Conference just a delight? It is so wonderful to hear from our beloved prophet and the apostles. I listened to conference in Portuguese this time around and I still loved it! :) I loved them all, but I do believe my favorite talk was Elder Ballard who talked about true and simple doctrine. I just found it so refreshing and lovely. We are so blessed to have the church on the earth! :)

We had a good week. We hit some rough patches, including two baptisms that fell through and some health problems, but the Lord is always mindful of us and still blessed us with miracles.

The other sisters in our area, Sister Campos and Sister Viera, baptized 5 kids on Sunday and our sweet investigator, Lucia came to watch. She loved the meeting and afterwards she came up to us and told us she'd like to be baptized as well! :) We are going there tomorrow night to talk to her about it. Please keep her in your prayers! :)

Due to General Conference and the time change, we had a lot of investigators in the church on Sunday! The members are on fire with missionary work and have started bringing their friends and families with them.

One of the young men brought Daniel, who loved conference and has already accepted a baptismal date.  We pretty much just walked up to him after conference and said, "Hey, did you like the conference? When you get an answer from God that this is His church, will you be baptized?" and he said, "Yes!" The kid's got faith. :)

Harleide, this sweet little old lady who loves us and has had a foot in the waters of baptism for years, also was in the church.  I asked her if she liked conference and she said, "Yes. It was very nice, but they talked too much..." Ha ha ha! I love her. :)

Here is a random Brazilian fact for you: Whenever we are out proselyting, I always see a herd of little boys flying their home-made kites in the fields. I always thought this was so cute and quaint, but it's not what it seems.... The other day we were asking a little girl where her brother was and she said he was in the over in the field flying kites. I asked if she could go get him for us to which she responded, "Sorry, Sister. My mom said I am not allowed over there. It is too dangerous." Dangerous? What is dangerous about kite flying? Turns out that those sweet little hooligans are not just flying kites. They are having KITE WARS!!! They glue pieces of glass and salt on their strings and then run at each other and try to cut the other one's kite down with their strings. How crazy is that?! I thought it was interesting, and also, I will be keeping my distance from the little kite boys... :)

I would like to share one more thing with you this week, family. I have been thinking a great deal about miracles and how miracles happen. I have always known that miracles happen through faith; through faith in Jesus Christ all things are possible. But also, while faith in Jesus Christ is absolutely and completely fundamental in working miracles, you also have to have faith in yourself and be brave. You have to truly believe that YOU can do marvolous things through Christ. I often find myself praying for Heavenly Father to perform a miracle and having full trust in him, but then waiting to see what He will do. Heavenly Father can work any miracle, be He needs us to perform it. Moses walked into the sea and put his staff down. Then a miracle came. The brother of Jared made a plan and brought white, smooth stones before the Lord. Then a miracle came. Peter jumped out of a boat into thrashing water, and then a miracle came. We need to show Him our faith and not just proclaim it. We have the capacity, through Jesus Christ, to do miracles, to perform marvelous things, but if we never believe in ourselves, that we are truly able to do it, we will never see the miracle.  Heavenly Father wants to work miracles in our lives, but we have to make the first move.

Don't be afraid to start up a miracle! Be brave out there, everyone! And wherever you are and in what ever you are doing, give it all your heart. :) I love you all so very much! Have a beautiful week! :)

All my love,

Sister Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment