Monday, March 24, 2014

#51 - Bikes and Blitzes and Blessings

Hi.

Sometimes when I read your e-mails I fear that my heart will explode from too much love. I seriously love you, family. How wonderful it is to have each other and be a family. :)

I missed you, Dad, especially this week. Want to know why? Because after almost one year, I rode a bike! It was wonderful!  We were at the church and I noticed one of the young men had brought his bike with him. At first I just looked at it in admiration, but then a little light bulb went off in my head. I asked him if I could ride it just around the church parking lot. He looked at me kind of weird, said sure, and off I went! I rode around and around and around and around the parking lot with the wind in my hair and a smile on my face! The members and the sisters thought I was crazy, but I was so happy to be on a bike again! And, oh, how it made me miss you, Daddy! :) I hope you have my biking gloves, helmet, and squeaky pants in good shape when I get home. :) Love you. :)

This week was great, but Sunday was the highlight! Sunday was an absolute splendor! We sent out a young missionary and all the tiny groups from far away cities of our branch came to the church to see him off! It was a beautiful sight to see the chapel full. :) I love love love when everyone comes together on Sundays. The spirit was so strong and I could feel our Heavenly Father's love for us there. The church really is Heavenly Father's home. Even our new investigator, Alaide, was touched and expressed to me how much the church felt like home to her and the people felt like family.

We found Alaide through what we call a "Blitz". We used to do blitzes all the time in New York. I have been trying to incorporate the things I learned in NYC to Brazil and it has been very successful. A Blitz is when you pick a street, close to the church, and knock every single door, inviting all to come to church on Sunday and then offer to leave a prayer with the family. It is wonderful. Only, in New York you can get through a street pretty fast because maybe, if you are lucky, you can get into one or two homes. And here in Brazil, we have made it into every door we have knocked. Ha ha... :) 

Sister B. Sousa and I were doing a Blitz the other night and we knocked on the door of Alaide. When she came to the door, she immediately invited us into her home, and we began to talk. We came to find out that she had recently lost her son in some sort of an accident. She opened up to us and just began to cry. She led us to his old bedroom and showed us his old things: his shoes, his boombox, his pictures... She opened up his closet and buried her face in his jacket and just sobbed. I will never forget that scene and the sadness that was on her face. My heart broke for her. I put my arm around her shoulder and said, "Alaide. We have been sent here by Heavenly Father to bring you a message of hope. You will see your son again. Come sit down." We then explained the Plan of Salvation to her and told her how much Heavenly Father loves her. Although it did not take the pain away, I could see a flicker of hope light up in her eyes. I pray she will continue to learn more and that she will see the full and burning light of the Gospel of Jesus Christ in it's fullness.

I feel so very blessed to have this opportunity to bring truth and light into people's lives. I remember the very first phrase that I wanted to learn in the MTC, almost one year ago, was, "God loves you." Deus te ama. It might me a sort phrase, a simple phrase, but it all comes down to that. When we truly understand that He loves us, that He wants us to be happy, that He knows us, and is our Father, we are filled with hope. We are filled with a desire to know Him and follow him.

I know God loves you. I know he knows your every desire, your fears, and wishes. He wants you to be happy. Put your trust in Him. Put your life into the hands of the Maker and He will make something beautiful. This is His work and His church. I know that.

I love you family. Thank you for your prayers. I feel them. Love everyone and have a beautiful week! Be bold and be brave even when it is hard. I love you so.

All of my love,

Sister Mill Mill Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment