Thursday, February 6, 2014

#45 - The Wrong Failed and the Right Prevailed! :)

Hello Beautiful Family!

It is so nice to hear from you today and get your e-mails. I really do love you.  And I still miss you. The homesickness is gone at this point in my mission, but just so you know, I still get little waves of nostalgia sometimes and miss you dearly. The other day I was making brownies and something about putting little colored star sprinkles on top made me think of you and I missed you so much for a second. Thank you for making my life beautiful. You are my motivation. I love you.

So... remember last week's letter in which I was all excited and on fire and told you my trainee and I were going to kill it? Yeah... I think I almost killed my trainee. Ha ha :) We worked and worked the week she got here and then when Tuesday morning rolled around, we woke up and Sister B. Sousa said she was not feeling well. The poor girl was down right sick for two days.  I think I forgot about the part about being patient and taking it easy on the newbies.  Whoops.  I totally remember being completely exhausted when I first got here because your body is just not used to running around in the blazing sun, your heart is not used to dealing with people's salvation, and your mind is not used to trying to understand how to help a group of investigators, a ward of members, and deal with someone beside you 24/7.  It's definitely an adjustment. So, I just need to remember that and be more patient and loving. :)

I learned A TON this week. I dare say, this was one of the more trying weeks in my mission.  I think you learn more being a trainer than being a trainee. I thought it very inspired that both Dad and Micail wrote to me last week about learning to forgive yourself and looking past your flaws, because I messed up a lot this week and being kind to myself was very hard.  It is as though I have had a huge list of all my weaknesses on a giant scroll laid out in front of me. It's not fun to look at, but you learn a lot. I learned about loving people, teaching people, being brave, being bold, obedience, kindness, and giving your full and entire trust to the Lord.

Despite the trials of this week, we had a miracle! A LITERAL MIRACLE.  A couple nights a week, all the youth in the branch get together and play soccer at the church.  We always make it an effort to pass by because they almost always have a non-member friend there to teach. One night, we stopped by and we were introduced to Militâo. We invited him to church and he willingly accepted.  After sacrament meeting, a Militâo approached me and said, "Sister, what do I need to do to be baptized?" THE BEST QUESTION I have ever been asked! We calmly explained to him about preparation for baptism and set up a date for him to be baptized, but inside of me I was having a happy little dance party and fireworks were shooting off.  We taught him the first lessons the day after and the kid just ate it up like chocolate pudding. He loved it. Everything was dandy for a bit, but soon after came the trails...

We had all kinds of problems this week trying to get him baptized, from sick companions, lessons falling through, parents not being supportive, members flaking out, down to the investigator showing up 45 minutes late to his own baptism. It was nuts! The adversity was working so hard against us and so hard against our golden investigator. But we know that the Lord always wins!

Last night Militâo was baptized. It was so beautiful to see him enter in the water and even better to see his smiling face as he came out of the font, sin-free and happy.  It was the first baptism in Sister B. Sousa's mission and she was just glowing. The whole thing was so beautiful. :)  Afterwards, as we were eating brownies, I asked Militâo how he was feeling. He said, " I feel so good. Light and relieved." :) I loved it.

I realized that I have so much to improve and a lot to learn now more than ever, but one thing I do know is the Heavenly Father always wins.  This is His plan. This is His work. We are His children.

And I feel so lucky to be His missionary. I love Him so.

Thank you for all you do for me, family. I love you! :)

All my love and some brownies with rainbow star sprinkles,

Sister Mann

P.s. I made the news! Here's a funny link that the Branch President sent me... Ya might recognize the frizzhead in white. Ha ha... :)

http://senhordobonfim.ba.gov.br/2013/12/ultimo-dia-de-celebracao-natalina-em-frente-a-prefeitura-comemora-a-chegada-do-natal/

No comments:

Post a Comment