Family, you know that quote in that old black and white film, "An Affair to Remember" that says something like, "Winters must be so cold for those who have no warm memories," well, I just want to say that throughout my days, I will remember little memories of you and they give me a little burst of happiness. Thanks for those. :) I remembered riding in that little kiddie trailer behind dad's bike to the Johnson's library and when uncle Gary bought me the sparkley Minnie Mouse ears in Disneyland and I just felt all happy. We have a quote on our wall that says, "The whole is only as strong as its parts." Even though we are spread far apart right now, I am glad that our family loves each other and strengthens each other. :)
Mommy! I love you! Thanks for the thousands of wet-wipes and band-aides. And I take my vitamins. Just so you know. :) So, I have a favor to ask. I was wondering if you could maybe send me some recipes. Just simple ones. But I would like to make the sisters some food too because they are always feeding me. I would love love love a banana muffin recipe, because I am currently obsessed with the cutest, tiny, most delicious bananas here. So good! Thanks. :)
Whoohoo, Micail! You are training! :) Your trainee is such a lucky little duck! You are the best trainer in the world, and I know that because I was your first trainee. :) I still remember sneaking into your room one night when I was little and seeing you sitting on your bed reading the scriptures. I watched you for a second, and then tip-toed back into my bed and pulled out my scriptures and began to read. And STILL you help me and pave the way for me now. I read your letters almost everyday. In my moments of weakness, I still have your words to butter me up and make me want to try harder. You have been an example of strength and joy to me for my whole life and now your trainee will also benefit from your Christ-like example. Thanks for getting me to where I am today, Tel. I love you. :)
Oh! And happy 1 year anniversary in the mission, Tel!!! Whoohoo! It was also Sister Benedict's 1 year this week. We had a party and had a delicious dinner for her, but our festa got ruined by a recent convert calling and confessing his love for Sister Benedict. Awkward... Kinda put a damper on things... but! Yeah. Sister Benedict is amazing, so it is understandable. Hee hee. Tudo bem. :)
I need to tell you about one of my favorite people in the world! Isabelli! Oh, I love her! She is one of our investigators right now, and she is incredible. She has a strong testimony and is beautiful, inside and out. We were at the church talking with her one day and she told us the reason she does not want to be baptized is because her dad is very hesitant about the church and does not like the idea. As we were talking about this, who just happened to walk into the church? Her dad! Miracles! We talked to him for a while, showed him around the church, and just talked to him about his concerns about baptism. He said that if Isabelli would like, she can be baptized. Gah! Church is true. :)
Another time week I was talking to Isabelli, and I was trying so hard to explain something to her, but I kept tripping over my Portuguese and not making any sense. Eventually I just gave up and we just looked at each other and just started to laugh. She put her arm around me and said, "Oh, Sister Mann, I just want to talk to you. I want to talk to you in the same language. I feel like we'd have so much to say." When she said this, the word stung my heart a little and I couldn't stop thinking about what she said all week. I was selfishly thinking, "What is the deali-o here?? Why am I not getting this Portuguese thing down faster? Why am I waiting, again, to try and say the things I would like to to my investigators. I am 5 months into my mission, and still cannot effectively be the missionary I want to be. Why am I having to wait more?" And all the sudden I had an "ah-ha!" light-bulb moment. I have little to no patience with myself. And I never really have. With school, with running, with painting, with guitar, everything! Everything in my life, if I can not pick it up immediately, I just sack it.
I always thought patience was being pleasant while waiting in line at Disneyland for splash mountain or something, but it goes far deeper than that. Patience is sticking out any storm that comes your way, with faith and hope. It is being brave and trusting that Heavenly Father really is there and He'll never give up on you. I need to trust Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ that they love me and want me to be happy. Accepting the will of God includes accepting His timing as well. I am currently in the process of changing my prayers from, "Help! Help me understand!" "Help me speak Portuguese!" To, "Help me know the things You need me to do and to know how to help." Slowly, but surely, I am learning Portuguese but more importantly, I am learning patience. :)
I love you dearly, family. Be brave! :)
All my love,
Sister Mann
No comments:
Post a Comment