Hello My Family!
Goodness, I miss you these days. How are you all? I absolutely loved getting an e-mail from all you pigs today. I feel so loved. :)
We had interviews with President Hart this week! Can I just tell you how much I love that guy? He is just wonderful. It was so nice to talk to him. It was especially nice for me to realize just how far I have come and progressed. I remember our first interview, I had just gotten to Brazil, my Portuguese was horrid, I was missing you all, missing NYC, and feeling a wee bit hopeless. I remember he told me not to give up and to just have faith. And just look now! I'm speaking Portuguese, training, loving, and having a happy, wonderful mission. It is a testimony to me that sometimes we have to pass through some rough stuff, but there really is a light at the end of the tunnel. The daylight will break through the night. We just have to hold on, be brave, and push through it. Heavenly Father never wants to break your soul, he just wants us to learn and grow. :)
Speaking of Portuguese, I have a confession to make. I have not been studying my scriptures in Portuguese during Personal Study... sorry, World. I knew I was suppose to be studying the Book of Mormon in Portuguese, but I just couldn't bring myself to it. I was so worried I wouldn't understand and I wouldn't love it as much in as I do in English. But this week I finished the Book of Mormon again and decided it was finally time to buck up and study for real in Portuguese. And guess what? I LOVE IT. I still feel the Spirit. I still love it. I still understand. Whoo hoo! :)
So, this week is the famous Carnival! Carnival is this HUGE celebration in Brazil that lasts for the whole week. It's a celebration of... I think just awesomeness. Because they aren't celebrating anything while still celebrating everything! Happiness, life, music, dancing, and Brazil. :) I was expecting something crazy to happen, but when we walked out of our house on Saturday, the streets were BARE. No one was home. The place was like a ghost town! Turns out that everyone travels to the big cities to celebrate and the little cities are just left with the Mormons and some drunk people. But one cool thing happened this morning! I was taking a shower and I heard the faint sound of drums. I jumped out of the shower, threw on some clothes and ran to the window to see what was happening. A little group of people that had stayed in Bonfim had gathered together and were making a little parade down the street! They were dancing, singing, beating drums, and throwing flour at each other. It was so awesome! I wanted to go join them, but I had a towel on my head and no one wanted to go with me. But! It's okay! I loved it so much! :)
The youth in our ward stayed here and had a dance this weekend. Do you know what the best part of baptizing people is? The best part is after the baptism, when you see them at church being happy and firm. We popped into the dance to snag the investigators there and I saw Militâo, our recent convert there. He looked so happy, dancing, smiling, and acting like a goon with the rest of the youth. It filled me with happiness to see him happy. I love this work so much! :)
I seriously LOVE the youth of our branch. They are like our little gang. Today we ate almoço with them and it was so fun! I love each and every one of them. :) They absolutely love us and we love them. They are always so willing to help in the work, bring friends to church, and they are so excepting of everyone. I wish that every ward had youth like ours. They are on fire! I don't know what I would do with out them. We are so tight. :) The youth of the ward are SO important. Do not under estimate the young'ens. They are the life-blood of our ward.
The other day I was looking at my ridiculous tan lines of my feet and I thought about the tan lines that Jesus Christ must have had, working all day, everyday for years. I am always so worried that my relationship with Christ is not enough and I don't know him as I should, but as I was looking at my tanned feet I realized that I have been coming to know Him more and love Him more, I just didn't realize it. With every step I take, every person I love, and every prayer I say, I come closer to Him because I am doing His work. I am doing what He would have me do. I am getting the tiniest, little taste of what He passed through when He once walked along dusty, sun-beaten roads too. I am amazed by Him because He did this perfectly. Flawlessly. He never complained about the heat, He never snapped back at his companion, and never thought of Himself. He loved everyone, even those who rejected and mocked Him. I am amazed. I am in awe. I love Him more than ever. I feel so very blessed to have this opportunity to try and walk a little what He walked, try to be as He was, try to say what He would say. My little tanned feet remind me of how much He went through for us and how very much I love Him for it, and I am grateful for my constant reminder.
I sure love you, Family! I hope you have a lovely week. Be brave and love everyone! I am thinking about you always and praying for you always.
All the love I can muster,
Sister Mann
No comments:
Post a Comment