Monday, August 19, 2013

#20 - Miracles

Hi! I'm Sister Mann. I love my family and biking. I'm an optimist and a missionary. And I'm Mute.

OH! Whooops! I meant Mormon! I'm a Mormon.  Haaaa. :) But, seriously. I have been so painfully quiet these last two weeks. You would not believe it. And I feel SO bad for Sister Benedict.  I hope she knows I'm an actually person who thinks and stuff. Poor girl. She might as well carry around a cantaloupe. :) But I love her. And that girl doesn't let me get away with anything. We will walk up to a group of people and she will say, "Fala com eles!" Or, "Talk with them!" and then just looks at me and smiles as I fumble through a mess of mis-pronounced Portuguese. Bleck. But, tudo bem! Good thing I believe in miracles, because that is what it's going to take for me to do this. 

Oh my lanta. I have to go right now. But I love you! I have no idea what is going on. Ever. Ha ha! Please pray for me! I love you!

(Editor's Note:  Several hours later . . . )


Oh joke time! I have returned. Apparently we had to go to a ward activity. It was super fun! We played volleyball and ate hot dogs (not dogs.)  And now I'm here again! :) Obviously, the communication down here is a little rough right now... hee hee. :)

I'm always showing up places without having the foggiest what is going on! The other day Sister Benedict had me pack other clothes that could get dirty and I had noooo clue why. Turns up we ended helping a lady in a ward put tiles on her wall and it was super fun! And then I ate some weird stuff that they gave us and I still have no clue what it was! :) You just learn to accept things, and go with the flow. :) It's like a mystery! All day. Everyday. :)

Sister Martins, one of the Brazilian sisters that lives with us, always says, "Bolo! Bolo!" whenever anything exciting happens. Bolo means cake, and so every time she'd say this I'd laugh so hard. I started saying it too because saying "cake! cake!" when you are happy just seems fun, right? Well, turns out she was actually saying, "Borou! borou!" Which is kind of like, "Yay! Yay!" If I understand correctly. So.... I have been awkwardly yelling, "Cake!" about everything. Whoops. :) The sisters won't let me live it down... But! Now we always say, "Bolo! Bolo!" whenever we need a good cheer. :)

But I am discovering there are thousands of ways to communicate besides the spoken word.  The other day we were walking down the road and I noticed a lady sitting on the curb.  She looked distressed and so we walked over to talk to her.  Before Sister Benedict could even say, "Oi! Tudo bem?" our phone rang and she picked it up, leaving me standing there staring at this lovely daughter of God, not knowing what in the world to say. I sat myself down next to her on the curb and just sat with her for a bit. I smiled at her and I told her that Heavenly Father loves her and through Jesus Christ, everything will be okay. I couldn't say a lot, but I did my best, and that is all Heavenly Father requires of us. 

It maybe a little tough right now (okay. It's been doozey of a hard time..), but I know it will work out. I am so incredibly blessed to be here and to be a missionary. I don't want any time to slip away from me, because the time I have here is precious. I will continue to work hard, and do my best. I'll keep battling those feelings of inadequacy with all I've got. And I will master you, Portuguese! Come at me, bro. :)

Thank you for your love. I can feel it. I miss you so much. So much. I love you, Dad! I love you, Mom! I love you, Cail! I love you, Luker! I love you so much! Be brave out there and do your best in all you do. 

All my love and some bolo,

Sister Mill Mill Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment