Hello, My Beautiful Family!!
Don't fret - I'm alive, well, and happy as can be! Here I am in New York City, sitting in a stuffy, dimly lit internet café in the middle of Queens, desperately trying not to dance to the Latino music playing. Every morning, as I wake up to the sound of honking cars, distant pop music, and bustling people, I roll off my mattress on the floor of our studio apartment, I think to myself, "Is this real life...?" Needless to say, my life rocks. :)
My companions, Hermana Van Langen and Hermana Franklin, are wonderful! (Yes, I said, "Hermana". But, we'll get to that later...) Hermana Van Langen is from Georgia and is so nice! Before she came on her mission, she taught 5th grade which just fits her perfectly. Hermana Franklin, from Provo, UT, is Hil. Ar. Ious. Seriously, I laugh so hard every time she opens her mouth. For the first couple of hours, I just didn't know how to take her sarcasm. But, I now I just laugh so hard at her quick wit. And it just so happened that we all love music and art! We sing together in our lessons, and people love it. We always joke that Hermana Van Langen is the mom, Hermana Franklin is the teenage daughter, and I'm the baby. I think Heavenly Father knew I needed two trainers, because one just wouldn't be enough. I seriously have no clue what I'm doing! I need them to tell me things like, "Sister Mann, don't wave hello to the taxis," "Sister Mann, don't make friends with that drunk man," "Sister Mann, don't say, "Hola" to the Indian people." Ha ha... Oh, pray for me. :)
So... Something I didn't quite anticipate is that I am now also learning Spanish! Surprise! (So, um, pray for me some more, por favor... :) ) I'm in a Spanish Ward with Spanish speaking companions, so I guess I better learn! I'm actually catching on all right. We offer free English Classes at the church every Wednesday and Saturday to the public, and rather than teach, I usually sit in the class and try to lean Spanish. The people love that and I love the people, so life is good. I know the Lord will help me learn!
Our members are incredible! Oh, I love them! I have no clue what they are saying, but I love them anyway. They are immediately loving and so patient with me despite my language barrier. While here, I've done a great deal of nodding my head, smiling real big, and saying, "Gracis por la commida!" (Thank you for the food!) Yes, they are very generous and yes, I'm going to need to take my work out time very seriously. :) I love Hispanic culture. These people understand "family." It's the best!
We have some great investigators! One family we are just starting to teach, just got here from Mexico and are so incredible. They are actually the only family that has let us in since I've been here. The work is hard, but so great. I've been rejected plenty, and the hardest part of it is your heart breaking knowing you have something to help them and bring them happiness and they just said no to it. There are so many people here and I know they need the Gospel.
I feel so blessed to be in beautiful New York City. The Lord has called me here to find a lost soul, and I know it. I will work and work to find and convert that person, even if that person is just me. I love this Gospel. It is happiness. It is joy. It is truth.
Family, I love you. Don't worry about me. I'm safe. I'm happy.
I pray you are too.
All my love and an empanada from Mango's on Queen's Boulevard,
Sister Mann
No comments:
Post a Comment