Friday, April 19, 2013

#3 - No Visa, No Problem


Hello, You Beautiful People! :)

Well, Week 2 was a rousing success! It's absolutely nuts how much you can learn and grow in just two weeks when you are putting your heart into it 16 hours a day. Oh, I love being a missionary. :) You grow so much. Your emotions are here, there, and everywhere. Ha ha :) Sometimes I feel like just bursting in to the cafeteria, throwing my hands in the air, and yelling, " I CAN SPEAK PORTUGUEEEEEEESE!!!!! And sometimes I just hit my head on my desk and think, '... I will never learn Portuguese...." Ha ha! :) My highs are high and my lows are low. It's kinda like a crazy roller coaster! And roller coasters are so fun, right? :)

One of my favorite parts in all of literature is in Roald Dahl's book Matilda. Brucey, a rather plump young lad, is sitting on a stage in front of the entire student body and is being forced to eat ALL of The Trunchbull's giant, massive chocolate cake by himself. He starts off, and all is well... but then it just gets to be too much. He eats and eats and eats... And just when he feels he can't take in one more thing, from the back of the auditorium Matilda stands on her chair and yells, "YOU CAN DO IT, BRUCEY!" And with that bit of encouragement, Brucey gobbles up the rest of the cake and victoriously licks the plate clean! - This is how the MTC feels.

Sometimes, I am just straight up overwhelmed. I'm exhausted. I'm stressed about Portuguese. And the task seems daunting. But, the Lord is with me. Always. In my moments of despair, I can feel Him buoying me up and giving me strength. Words come to my mind and impressions come to heart. He is real and He loves us.

The other night I was having an especially difficult time with the language and I pulled out one of Micail's letters she sent be before I left. On the back was written, "For When You Want To Punch Portuguese In The Face." I knew it was time to open it. :) Oh, how I love Micail. She knew exactly what to say. She said that the gift of tongues is enough to be a miracle, but difficult enough to be a test of faith. It was an incredible letter. I read it out loud to Sister Powell that night in our beds. When I finished, I looked up to see all 6 sisters in our room sitting on the end on their beds, some with tears streaming down their faces. I am so lucky to have Micail. Thanks, Soeur Mann, for being inspired by the Lord and for blessing 6 sister missionaries so much. I love you. :)

Alright. Let me address the visa situation. I have not received my visa. In fact, there are over 200 missionaries in this MTC going to Brazil who currently have not received their visas. So, the chance of me getting my visa in 4 weeks is.... well... I'll give it a solid 7%. :) For those that do not get their visas, they get reassigned to a stateside mission while they wait. I've heard of people going to SLC, Anaheim, Boston, Nashville, and other places. I will probably get reassigned, and I'm not even remotely sad about it. In fact, I'm super stoked! It's like a second mission call! Whoo hoo! :) And honestly, where I am doesn't really matter to me a great deal, what I'm doing there is what matters. I'm totally fine with not having my visa. :)

Miles and Justine! Miles and Justine! I am so excited they got their mission calls! They will be amazing missionaries. Holy Toledo. :) Only, we have one teensy, tiny, little problem. Nobody informed me as to where they are going. So... if someone could fix that promptly, I would greatly appreciate it. :) (Editors Note: Done)

Elder Richard G. Scott came to speak to us the other night, and he said, "The Lord did not call you to fail. He called you to succeed." I will learn Portuguese, and I will work my hardest to be the best missionary I can be. I love my Heavenly Father with all my heart. He lives. I  know Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer. Eu amo meu Pai Celestial com tudos minha coracao. Ele vive. Eu sei Jesus Cristo es nosso Salvador e Rendentor.

Family, I love you! I love you so much! Keep "Dear Elder"ing me! That works best and I love to hear from you! :) XOXOXOXOXOX

All my love,
Sister Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment